In the fast-paced and constantly evolving field of healthcare, Pharmacy Technicians play a crucial role in ensuring the safe and effective delivery of medications to patients.
With their specialized knowledge and skills, pharmacy technicians are known to be the pillars of the healthcare team.
These professionals have to perform various duties in their daily routine, including typing prescription information for drug labels, approving medicine refills, and coordinating the medication stock in the pharmacy.
In this article, we will discuss pharmacy technicians’ day-to-day duties. If you are looking for a career as a pharmacy technician, you can benefit by understanding this profession.
Top Duties of a Pharmacy Technician
If you’re looking for a career as a pharmacy technician, you should note the following list of duties. Below are the duties you can typically expect to see in a job description for a pharmacy technician opening:
1. Preparing prescriptions for patients
One of the primary responsibilities of a pharmacy technician is to help in the processing and dispensing of prescriptions.
Now, when we talk about processing and dispensing, this includes:
- Collecting and verifying patient information.
- Entering the prescription details into the pharmacy’s computer system.
- Counting, measuring, and packaging medications accurately.
- Applying appropriate labels and ensuring that those labels have proper instructions to be followed.
- Collaborating with pharmacists to address any queries or concerns.
By diligently performing this duty, pharmacy technicians help prevent medication errors and ensure patient safety.
2. Responsible to manage accounts
A pharmacy technician should be able to manage pharmacy accounts, as it comes under clerical duties. When we talk about managing accounts, we understand that a pharmacy Technician should be effective in performing the various duties like:
- Receiving payments from patients
- Tallying the payments each day.
- Rectifying the errors that occur during the process
3. Managing pharmacy inventory
Pharmacy technicians are responsible for maintaining an organized inventory of medications and supplies. They are responsible for managing the overall pharmacy inventory.
Their duties in inventory management include:
- Receiving and storing the medications in the pharmacy.
- Ensuring proper storage conditions like temperature and hygiene.
- Keeping a regular check on the inventory levels and placing orders once they are out of stock.
- Managing expired or damaged medications according to established standards and procedures.
Read More: What is a Pharmacy Technician?
4. Customer Service
Pharmacy technicians are always engaged with patients, doctors, and co-workers and help them by providing them with excellent customer service and ensuring their needs are fulfilled on time. This includes:
- Answering general inquiries and providing medication-related information to their customers.
- Handling insurance claims and coordinating with insurance providers.
- Resolving any customer-related issues and ensuring customer satisfaction.
- Maintaining patient confidentiality and professionalism at all times.
5. Pharmacy Operations
In addition to the direct responsibilities discussed above, Pharmacy Technicians perform various administrative tasks to ensure smooth pharmacy operations. These tasks include
- Managing patient records, handling insurance claims and billing, and maintaining the confidentiality of patient information.
- Pharmacy technicians are often responsible for operating and maintaining automated dispensing machines and other technological systems like bar-code scanning systems used in the pharmacy.
- By efficiently managing these operational duties, a Pharmacy technician contributes to an efficient workflow and ensures better patient care.
Read More: Pharmacy technician skills
6. Interacting with patients
There is a regular interaction of pharmacy technicians with patients throughout the course of their day. Below are a few ways in which pharmacy techs work with patients include:
- Answering prescription-related questions
- Educating patients about the right use of medication, including the method of intake.
- Helping patients purchase their prescriptions
- Answering the pharmacy phone
Know more: Traveling Pharmacy Technician
7. Processing medical insurance claims for medications
In cases where patients choose to use insurance for their prescriptions, Pharmacy technicians help in processing insurance claims. This can include determining the patient’s insurance company and information, contacting the insurance company to verify the amount, and updating the overall insurance coverage in the system.
8. Data Entry and Documentation
Pharmacy technicians enter and maintain patient and medication information in the pharmacy’s computer system. Data entry and documentation include:
- Updating patient profiles and recording prescription details within the computer system.
- Maintain the confidentiality and security of sensitive information.
Read more to know about who is a Data Entry Pharmacy Technician.
9. Compounding and Basic Pharmacy Tasks
Another duty of Pharmacy Technicians is that they also get involved in medication compounding and preparation, especially when it comes to hospitals and compounding pharmacies. Their duties in this area include:
- Measuring and mixing ingredients to prepare customized medications.
- Packaging and labeling compounded medications accurately.
- Collaborating with pharmacists to ensure quality control and overall safety of the pharmacy.
Read More: Where Can Pharmacy Technicians Work?
11. Compound Intravenous IV Arrangements:
As a pharmacy technician, you will need to handle bodily and other fluids, ointments, and powders to be utilized for intravenous blending or compounding procedures. Apart from this, you can also be asked to ensure that the IV room, and the equipment, are properly sanitized & cleaned.
Read More: Pros and cons of being a pharmacy technician
After knowing these various duties, it can be concluded that Pharmacy Technicians play an important role in the healthcare system. They are supporting pharmacists and ensure the safe and efficient delivery of medications to patients.
By performing these vital responsibilities with professionalism and compassion, pharmacy technicians contribute significantly to the well-being of patients and the smooth functioning of pharmacies. Day in the Life of a Pharmacy Technician has lots of things to do. As a pharmacy tech, you ensure the well-being of patients.
- How to Become a pharmacy technician
- How long does it take to become a pharmacy technician
- Pharmacy Assistant vs Pharmacy Technician
- Pharmacy technician online schools
- Pharmacy Technician Salary
- Pharmacy Technician FAQ
- How to Become a Certified Pharmacy Technician
- How to Get Pharmacy Technician Certificate
- How To Get Pharmacy Technician License
- Pharmacy Technician Degree
- Pharmacy Technician License vs Certification
- Pharmacy Technician Certification
- Pharmacy Technician Requirements
- Nuclear Pharmacy Technician
- Pharmacy Technician Certificate
- Pharmacy Technician Training
- Pharmacy Technician Programs
- Pharmacy Technician Courses
How to Be Successful in College in 2022 – 7 Simple Tips to Succeed
How Do Scholarships Work? Read This First…Truth is Shocking
7 Best College Majors 2022: What Should I Major In?
How to Choose a College – 10 Things You Must Consider in 2022
Why Go to College? Top 13 Benefits for Adult Students in 2022
Top 5 Best Alternatives to Community College for 2022