Are you looking for a career as a Pharmacy Technician? Why?
Is it the love and the level of satisfaction you get after helping others or is it the interest in the fast-paced growing healthcare industry?
Before starting your career as a Pharmacy Technician, you need to be aware of the job roles associated with them.
Learn more: What Does a Pharmacy Technician Do
If you wish to start your career or you want to seek guidance on what a day in the life of a Pharmacy Technician looks like, you are on the right page.
Allow us to take you on a thrilling journey through the day in the life of a pharmacy technician.
A day in the life of a Pharmacy Technician is quite interesting when it comes to beginners. An individual entering the world of pharmacy has lots of challenges to face. Before shedding light on their life, let’s understand what a Pharmacy Technician is.
Pharmacy Technicians are the supporting pillars of the pharmaceutical industry. They assist in the daily operations of a pharmacy and help the pharmacists manage the workload for the smooth functioning of a pharmacy.
Their tasks are not limited to assisting and they are responsible for also taking care of the secondary line of work at the pharmacy.
See more: What is a Pharmacy Technician
A Day in the Life as a Pharmacy Technician – For Beginners
A Day in the Life of a Pharmacy Technician can vary depending on the work setting, such as a retail pharmacy, hospital, or mail-order pharmacy.
Generally, a pharmacy technician’s day starts with ensuring a clean and tidy environment. They have to attend phone calls, hand out prescriptions, refill medicines, and perform many more such tasks.
Along with this, they are also responsible for validating all patient data when dispensing medicines. Most of the time they even have to label the medicine bottles.
Their tasks are not limited to this only. Pharmacy Technicians are also responsible for managing medicine stocks within the pharmacy.
They need to be very polite and calm because they have to interact with lots of customers and patients which requires patience.
It takes a lot of effort to accurately arrange medicines so that they are easily accessible when required. Some Pharmacy Technicians also work with insurance companies to handle claim-related issues. This requires excellent computing skills.
Know more: Pharmacy Technician Skills
Here’s an overview of what a typical day might look like for a pharmacy technician:
1. Starting the Day:
- Arriving at the pharmacy and preparing for the day’s work.
- Review any updates or announcements from the pharmacist or their supervisor. (Learn more: Pharmacy Technician vs Pharmacist)
- Ensuring the pharmacy is well-organized and clean.
2. Assisting patients and customers:
- Interacting with customers or patients and meeting their requirements.
- Verifying patient information, and entering accurate data in the pharmacy system to keep a record.
- Answering general queries and questions related to medicines and providing recommendations whenever required.
- Handling insurance inquiries and processing claims.
3. Prescription Processing:
- Reviewing prescriptions generally received from patients or customers.
- Verifying the completeness and accuracy of the prescription information.
- Counting, measuring, or compounding medications as required.
- Label prescription containers or bottles with the necessary information, dosage instructions, and warnings.
4. Filling and Dispensing Medications:
- Ensuring accuracy and proper storage of the medicines.
- Filling prescription orders accurately and efficiently, following established protocols and safety procedures.
- Cross-checking filled prescriptions for better accuracy before handing them over to the pharmacist for final verification.
- Providing medications to customers, and counseling on proper usage, potential side effects, and precautions.
5. Inventory Management:
- Monitoring medication stock levels and informing the pharmacist or supervisor when supplies need to be replenished.
- Checking expiry dates of the medicines to maintain medication safety and quality.
6. Assisting the Pharmacist:
- Helping the pharmacist to ensure efficient workflow within the Pharmacy.
- Discuss any major issues or concerns related to prescriptions, insurance claims, or patient information.
- Performing administrative tasks, such as filing, record-keeping, and documentation as required.
7. Maintaining a Safe Environment:
- Pharmacy technicians are responsible for maintaining a clean and hazard-free work environment.
- Handling medications and hazardous substances appropriately, following established guidelines
- Adhering to privacy and confidentiality regulations when dealing with patient information.
Lastly, the most important responsibility of a pharmacy technician is to keep up with the latest industry trends and advancements in pharmacy technology.
Read more: Pharmacy Technician Job Description
Scope for the future
So, now you might be aware of what a Pharmacy Technician is and what are the roles and responsibilities that they need to perform daily. Before choosing this as your career, you might have a question related to the scope for the future or about Pharmacy Technician’s Salary.
First of all, it is necessary to understand that the scope depends on which type of pharmacy you are associated with. For example, you may work in a hospital pharmacy, Traveling Pharmacy Technician or a government pharmacy, and sometimes even in prison bureaus.
Secondly, which type of employer do you choose?
Some pharmacy technicians work in governmental sectors that require excellent communication skills. So, if you are someone who loves to interact with people, choosing to work in the governmental sector might be a good choice for you.
See more: Where Can Pharmacy Technicians Work
Other than that, you can work with hospital pharmacies where you would be helping doctors and patients.
Further, when we talk about employment opportunities for Pharmacy Technicians, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that it is projected to grow 5 percent from 2021 to 2031.
Know more: Pharmacy Technician Facts
So, you need not worry about the scope of this career as the job prospects and growth look promising if you have the right skills.
Also see: How to Become a Pharmacy Technician
This article must have given you a clear insight into what A Day in the Life of a Pharmacy Technician looks like.
If you desire to start a career as a Pharmacy Technician, you can enroll in online programs to get a certification that will help you a lot in your Pharmacy Technician career.
You still might have some doubts or questions. Click here: Pharmacy Technician FAQ.
How to Be Successful in College in 2022 – 7 Simple Tips to Succeed
How Do Scholarships Work? Read This First…Truth is Shocking
7 Best College Majors 2022: What Should I Major In?
How to Choose a College – 10 Things You Must Consider in 2022
Why Go to College? Top 13 Benefits for Adult Students in 2022
Top 5 Best Alternatives to Community College for 2022