If you work in a pharmacy or are just starting your career, it’s important to know the different opportunities available to you.
For example, what areas can a skilled Pharmacy Technician focus on?
Today, we’ll talk about one specific and interesting specialization: becoming a nuclear pharmacy technician.
But first, let’s understand what Nuclear Pharmacy is.
So, let’s begin!
What is Nuclear Pharmacy?
A nuclear pharmacy is a special kind of pharmacy, not like the regular ones you find in communities, hospitals, or long-term care places.
A nuclear pharmacy makes special medicines that contain radiation. These medicines help diagnose and treat serious health problems.
The government makes sure these medicines are safe. These radioactive medicines are approved by FDA and the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) watches over how they are made.
Now, you know what is a Nuclear Pharmacy. Further, we will discuss who is a Nuclear Pharmacy Technician.
What is a Nuclear Pharmacy Technician?
A nuclear pharmacy tech is a person who helps a pharmacist with their important job. They are trained and qualified to do this.
Doesn’t this sound the same as another type of Pharmacy Technician?
Well, there is a difference. A general Pharmacy Technician fills all types of prescriptions and the day is utilized in handling customers.
Whereas a Nuclear Pharmacy Technician job is quite specialized. This is because they have to spend most of their time mixing radiopharmaceuticals. And this task requires more attention and alertness.
Nuclear Pharmacy Technician Duties
A nuclear pharmacy technician’s job involves working with a nuclear pharmacist to do the following:
- Keep track of everything related to receiving, storing, preparing, and dispensing out radioactive medicines.
- Make radiopharmaceuticals by mixing radioisotopes.
- Package and labeling of radiopharmaceuticals.
- Meet the state and federal regulations governing the handling of hazardous and radioactive materials.
- Perform quality control tests on the raw materials and the final products.
- Provide information about the products to patients.
- Keep an eye on patients undergoing treatment with radiopharmaceuticals.
- Update patient records.
- Handle billing and insurance claims related to the medications.
Read more about: What a Pharmacy Technician Do
What type of Pharmaceuticals does a Nuclear Pharmacy Technician prepare?
A Nuclear Pharmacy Technician has to prepare various radiopharmaceuticals that are used in the diagnosis and treatment of various hazardous diseases.
As a Nuclear Pharmacy Technician, you may have to be in continuous touch with drugs like, Gallium Citrate Ga 67, Iodine-131, Radioiodinated Iobenguane, etc. These are used to treat diseases like Cancer, Kidney Disease, Thyroid, etc.
How to Become a Nuclear Pharmacy Technician?
- You need to have a high school degree or something equal to it.
- You must finish a special training program for nuclear pharmacy technicians that is approved by the authorities.
- You need to be officially registered as a pharmacy technician by the state board.
- Getting a certification from the National Certification Board of Nuclear Pharmacy Technicians is required.
- You should have worked in a nuclear pharmacy for at least 2 years.
Along with the above requirements, It’s important to fully understand how nuclear pharmacies work, the procedures they follow, and the rules they need to follow.
Nuclear Pharmacy Technician Salary & Outlook
Nuclear pharmacy technician jobs will increase faster than usual in the next ten years. What’s the reason behind it?
This is because there will be more demand for these technicians to make sure medicines are safe and of good quality. Also, the use of nuclear technology in other areas like medical imaging will go up, increasing the demand for more nuclear pharmacy technicians.
The average hourly rate is $18.91, yearly it’s around $35,713 if you work 40 hours a week.
Day in the Life of a Pharmacy Technician
How to Become a Certified Pharmacy Technician
How to Get Pharmacy Technician Certificate
How To Get Pharmacy Technician License
Pharmacy Technician Degree
How To Become a Pharmacy Technician Without Going To School
How to Be Successful in College in 2022 – 7 Simple Tips to Succeed
How Do Scholarships Work? Read This First…Truth is Shocking
7 Best College Majors 2022: What Should I Major In?
How to Choose a College – 10 Things You Must Consider in 2022
Why Go to College? Top 13 Benefits for Adult Students in 2022
Top 5 Best Alternatives to Community College for 2022