If you want to pursue phlebotomy as your career, you might want to know what exactly they do, what their main roles and responsibilities are, and what their key tasks are in a day.
Don’t worry, we’re here to help you discover just that, and more.
Phlebotomists are the underrated champions of the healthcare system.
If you’re new to this career, you might be wondering if phlebotomy is the only responsibility of a phlebotomist, as the name suggests.
Let’s find out.
Read: What is a Phlebotomist
What is the Main Responsibility of a Phlebotomist?
If you think that phlebotomy is the only responsibility of a phlebotomist, we want you to know that that’s not all.
Yes, phlebotomy, or drawing blood, is one of the main responsibilities of a phlebotomist, and they need to master the skills of venipuncture.
But, they also have additional responsibilities to fulfill within a working day.
Let us take a look.
Other Top Responsibilities of a Phlebotomist
Apart from phlebotomy, the key roles of a phlebotomist in a day-to-day schedule are:
- Patient Interaction: Explain procedures and ensure patient comfort during blood collection.
- Sample Labeling: Accurately label and document collected blood samples.
- Specimen Processing: Prepare and package samples for analysis in the laboratory.
- Infection Control: Maintain a clean and safe environment to prevent infections.
- Equipment Care: Clean and maintain phlebotomy equipment for safe use.
- Record Keeping: Document procedures, patient details, and samples collected.
- Quality Control: Follow measures to ensure accurate samples and reliable test results.
- Assist Healthcare Professionals: Collect blood samples for medical tests, assisting other professionals.
- Patient Education: Educate patients on fasting or preparation needed before blood collection.
- Emergency Response: Collect blood samples efficiently in critical situations.
- Inventory Management: Keep track of supplies and orders as needed.
- Regulation Compliance: Follow healthcare guidelines and safety protocols.
- Continuous Learning: Stay updated on techniques, safety, and industry developments.
Also see: How to Become a Phlebotomist
- Phlebotomist Salary
- Phlebotomist Skills
- Ultimate Phlebotomist Resume Guide – Phlebotomy Job
- Can A Phlebotomist Start IVs?
- Phlebotomist Duties
- What Do You Need To Be a Phlebotomist?
- Phlebotomist Degree
- Pros and Cons of Being a Phlebotomist
- Mobile Phlebotomist
- How To Get a Phlebotomy Certification
- What are the Different Types of Phlebotomy Certifications?
- Phlebotomist vs CNA
- Is a Phlebotomist a Nurse?
How to Be Successful in College in 2022 – 7 Simple Tips to Succeed
How Do Scholarships Work? Read This First…Truth is Shocking
7 Best College Majors 2022: What Should I Major In?
How to Choose a College – 10 Things You Must Consider in 2022
Why Go to College? Top 13 Benefits for Adult Students in 2022
Top 5 Best Alternatives to Community College for 2022