Do you want to become a medical assistant much faster than getting a conventional degree?
If your answer is yes, this article is for you.
If you want to become a medical assistant, you must be confused about which medical assistant program is the best.
We’re here to clear all such doubts and more.
In this article, we will also reveal more about if medical assistant degrees are necessary, how to become a medical assistant in 6 weeks, and so on.
Let’s delve into it.
Is Getting a Medical Assistant Degree Really Necessary?
To answer simply, no, it is not necessary to get a medical assistant degree.
However, even though medical assistant degrees are not a requirement, you will still need to enroll in some type of medical assistant training to acquire the relevant skills and knowledge for the role.
There are three main ways of completing your medical assistance training, such as getting an associate’s degree, a diploma, or completing an online training program. More on these in the following section.
Types of Medical Assistant Training Programs and Their Average Length
You must be confused about which type of medical assistant training to choose from, with the amount of information available online.
We’re here to solve that for you and break it down.
As mentioned earlier, there are three main ways by which you can complete your medical assistant training, such as-
Getting an Associate’s Degree-
Medical assistant degrees do exist, even though they are not necessary to become one.
Enrolling in an associate degree in medical assistance is the most reliable and traditional method out there of completing your medical assistant training.
You can complete an associate degree from a technical university in up to 2 years. However, the biggest disadvantage in opting for this method is the high enrollment fees, an associate degree can cost between $10,000 to $20,000, which means you will need some type of financial aid or student loans.
Getting a Diploma-
Getting a medical assistant diploma from a community college or trade school is another option you can lean toward. This is also considered to be better than an associate degree since it’s cheaper and can be completed faster.
A diploma can cost around $5,000 to $8,000, and take up to a year to complete. The main disadvantage here is that you will need to attend classes scheduled by the school or college.
This can cause a problem if you have family or work obligations, and in case you happen to miss a few classes, it can be hard to get them rescheduled.
Completing an Online Program-
Completing your medical assistance training through an accredited online training program is the most recommended method, mainly because of the many benefits it offers.
Let’s take a look at some of them-
- Since they are mostly 100% online, they give you the freedom and flexibility to learn anytime and from anywhere, even from the comfort of your own home.
- If you choose a self-paced program, you can decide your hours of learning at your own pace.
- Highly affordable in comparison to its alternatives, an online training program can cost around $2,000
- Provides you with externship opportunities once you finish their course, which is essential to gain practical experience.
Is it Possible to Become a Medical Assistant in 6 Weeks?
Yes, you absolutely can become a medical assistant in 6 weeks!
Through online training programs.
There are many recognized accredited online training programs available that are specifically designed to help you complete your medical assistant training in a short period of time.
However, it is always recommended to check the course and syllabus of the training program, as a proper accredited medical assistant training program needs at least 4 to 6 months to complete.
For example, Preppy offers a 4-month online program for medical assistant training.
As we stated before, opting for an online certification is also highly recommended when it comes to completing your medical assistant training. Preppy offers many advantages over other alternatives.
With Preppy, you have the flexibility to learn at your own pace and on a schedule that works for you. Plus, you’ll be able to earn your certification much faster and enter the workforce since the training can be completed in just 6 weeks.
Not only that, but Preppy also provides externship opportunities once you’ve completed your course.
And the best part? Preppy is the most affordable as compared to other training options available, with its online medical assistant course costing just $1599.
On top of that, Preppy offers additional perks such as 24/7 support so you can feel free to reach for assistance even at 3 am, and a free laptop that is yours to keep even after you finish your course.
Do You Want To Become a Medical Assistant? Check Out Free Medical Assistant Masterclass!
In our masterclass you learn:
- How to be a medical assistant faster…in just 4 months!
- Avoid student debt & driving to classes
- #1 thing employers want from Medical Assistants
- How to stand-apart & get a university certificate for a strong resume
How to Become a Medical Assistant in 6 Weeks: A Detailed Timeline
Now that you know you can become a medical assistant in under 6 weeks, you must be wondering what the procedure for that looks like.
Let’s dive into that.
Here’s how you can become a medical assistant in 6 weeks:
1. Start by earning your high school diploma or GED- Medical assisting programs usually require this as a minimum requirement.
2. Enroll in an online medical assisting course- Online certificate programs, such as Preppy, can get you certified in as little as 6 weeks.
3. Gain work experience via externships- Preppy also offers externship opportunities after you complete their course, wherein you can gain practical experience and apply your learned knowledge and skills in a real-life setting. After you complete your externship, you’ll be eligible to sit for certification exams like CCMA or RMA for certification.
4. Get Certified- After you complete your course and externship, you can get certified by choosing whichever certification suits you best and clearing your exam.
5. Apply for medical assistant jobs- Now that you are certified as a medical assistant, you can start applying for jobs.
Can I become a medical assistant in 6 weeks?
Yes! In just 6 weeks, you can become a medical assistant through a self-paced online program or by starting work without certification.
How long does it take to get a medical assistant certification?
Online certification courses usually take around 6 weeks to 6 months to finish. Community college certification courses or trade schools generally require 12 months, while degree programs take approximately 2 years to complete.
After you complete your course, you can choose and schedule your certification exam.
In case you prefer to substitute work experience for a certification course, you must have at least one year of experience before you can take the RMA or CCMA exam. However, the CMA exam does not accept work experience as a substitute for a medical assisting program.
How to Be Successful in College in 2022 – 7 Simple Tips to Succeed
How Do Scholarships Work? Read This First…Truth is Shocking
7 Best College Majors 2024: What Should I Major In?
How to Choose a College – 10 Things You Must Consider in 2024
Why Go to College? Top 13 Benefits for Adult Students in 2022
Top 5 Best Alternatives to Community College for 2024