Paralegals are known to be the underdogs of the legal industry, and if you’re here, you must be interested to know how much they make.
Let us answer that and more in this article.
According to BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics), the average annual salary was recorded to be $56,230 for paralegals.
Entry-Level Paralegal Salary
If you’re just starting out as a Paralegal, you can expect your salary to be lower than the median salary, which is around $53,230. Entry-level paralegals can expect to earn between $36,410 to $46,000.
However, these numbers can vary depending on the demand for paralegals in different locations.
Highest Employing Industries for Paralegals
Here are the top industries that hire paralegals with their salary figures:-
- Legal Services-
The highest-paying industry is legal services, with an employment rate of 258,310 jobs.
- Federal Executive Branch-
The second highest-paying industry is the Federal Executive Branch which has 15,480 jobs with an annual mean wage of $73,580. If you’re thinking of pursuing a career as a Paralegal, you can find great opportunities in the Federal Executive Branch
- Local Government (Excluding schools and hospitals)-
In terms of employment, Local Government has 14,890 jobs and an annual mean wage of $57,770.
- State Government (Excluding schools and Hospitals)-
There has been a great deal of opportunities for paralegals, with 9240 jobs in State Government Departments as well.
- Management of companies and enterprises-
They have an employment rate of 0.23% and 7250 jobs.
Also see: Day in the Life of a Paralegal
Highest paying industries for Paralegals
As mentioned earlier, if you’re just starting out for this role, you can expect a lower salary. However, there are some industries that pay you well, even as a beginner.
Top paying industries for Paralegals and Legal Assistants:
Paralegal Salary by State
Although the average salaries offered by law firms or organizations are usually similar, at the same time, there are variations based on ‘Job Location’. Let’s take a look at some figures:-
Top paying states for Paralegals and Legal Assistants:
|State||Annual mean wage|
Top Paying Metropolitan Areas for Paralegals
There are some top-paying metropolitan areas for paralegals as well; let’s have a look at them below:-
- New Orleans- Metairie- The highest-paying metropolitan area is New Orleans which has an annual wage of $51,690.
- Charleston- The second highest paying area is Charleston which has an annual wage of $53,210.
- Miami Fort Lauderdale-West Palm- In terms of salary, Miami also got a great track record, such as $58,180.
- Columbia- Fourth one is Columbia which also got a great record of $47,790 annual salary.
- Tallahassee- Tallahassee has got some deal in terms of salary, which is $47,390
- Paralegal Schools
- Paralegal Certification
- How Long Does it Take to Become a Paralegal
- Paralegal Requirements
- Paralegal Degree
- Paralegal Certificate Online
- Paralegal studies
- Paralegal Specializations
- Where Do Paralegals Work
- Perfect Paralegal Resume
- Myths About Being a Paralegal
- 10 Interview Tips for Paralegals
How to Be Successful in College in 2022 – 7 Simple Tips to Succeed
How Do Scholarships Work? Read This First…Truth is Shocking
7 Best College Majors 2022: What Should I Major In?
How to Choose a College – 10 Things You Must Consider in 2022
Why Go to College? Top 13 Benefits for Adult Students in 2022
Top 5 Best Alternatives to Community College for 2022