A Paralegal acts in a supportive capacity to an attorney, assisting them in a variety of tasks such as documentation, client interviews, investigation, research, etc.
The demand for paralegals has been on a consistent rise recently, and job growth is expected to only rise further.
The minimum qualification required to become a Paralegal is a high school diploma or a GED.
According to BLS (Bureau of Labor Statistics), the average annual salary was recorded to be $56,230 for paralegals.
Entry-Level Paralegal Salary
If you’re just starting out as a Paralegal, you can expect your salary to be lower than the median salary, which is around $53,230. Entry-level paralegals can expect to earn between $36,410 to $46,000.
However, these numbers can vary depending on the demand for paralegals in different locations.
Highest Employing Industries for Paralegals
Here are the top industries that hire paralegals with their salary figures:-
- Legal Services-
The highest-paying industry is legal services, with an employment rate of 258,310 jobs.
- Federal Executive Branch-
The second highest-paying industry is the Federal Executive Branch which has 15,480 jobs with an annual mean wage of $73,580. If you’re thinking of pursuing a career as a Paralegal, you can find great opportunities in the Federal Executive Branch
- Local Government (Excluding schools and hospitals)-
In terms of employment, Local Government has 14,890 jobs and an annual mean wage of $57,770.
- State Government (Excluding schools and Hospitals)-
There has been a great deal of opportunities for paralegals, with 9240 jobs in State Government Departments as well.
- Management of companies and enterprises-
They have an employment rate of 0.23% and 7250 jobs.
Highest paying industries for Paralegals
As mentioned earlier, if you’re just starting out for this role, you can expect a lower salary. However, there are some industries that pay you well, even as a beginner.
Top paying industries for Paralegals and Legal Assistants:
Paralegal Salary by State
Although the average salaries offered by law firms or organizations are usually similar, at the same time, there are variations based on ‘Job Location’. Let’s take a look at some figures:-
Top paying states for Paralegals and Legal Assistants:
|State||Annual mean wage|
Top Paying Metropolitan Areas for Paralegals
There are some top-paying metropolitan areas for paralegals as well; let’s have a look at them below:-
- New Orleans- Metairie- The highest-paying metropolitan area is New Orleans which has an annual wage of $51,690.
- Charleston- The second highest paying area is Charleston which has an annual wage of $53,210.
- Miami Fort Lauderdale-West Palm- In terms of salary, Miami also got a great track record, such as $58,180.
- Columbia- Fourth one is Columbia which also got a great record of $47,790 annual salary.
- Tallahassee- Tallahassee has got some deal in terms of salary, which is $47,390
How to Be Successful in College in 2022 – 7 Simple Tips to Succeed
How Do Scholarships Work? Read This First…Truth is Shocking
7 Best College Majors 2022: What Should I Major In?
How to Choose a College – 10 Things You Must Consider in 2022
Why Go to College? Top 13 Benefits for Adult Students in 2022
Top 5 Best Alternatives to Community College for 2022